Mr. Ruger is a partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office. His primary practice areas are mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and governance, real estate acquisition and disposition, and other commercial transactions.
Before becoming a partner at Lee Anav Chung White Kim Ruger & Richter LLP, Mr. Ruger was a member of Lim Ruger & Kim LLP (1997-2016), had his own firm (1985-1996), and was an associate at Hughes Hubbard and Reed (1980-1984).
Mr. Ruger represents private and publicly held companies, multinational companies and U.S. affiliates of foreign entities in a wide range of corporate, real estate and business matters. He advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, corporate and debt financing, corporate governance, real estate acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, technology licensing, video game development and publishing, leasing, equity incentive compensation plans, employment and consulting, and other commercial transactions. His clients include technology companies, video game developers and publishers, real estate owners and developers, manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, distributors, licensors and licensees. Mr. Ruger also has substantial experience in assisting his clients navigate through litigation and arbitration matters, and in participating in numerous mediations to achieve a favorable outcome for his clients.
As counsel advising in mergers and acquisition transactions, Mr. Ruger has acted as lead counsel in charge of structuring of the transaction, overseeing the due diligence, negotiating and preparing acquisition agreements and ancillary documents, and handling post-closing issues. He also has substantial experience in acquisitions and dispositions of industrial, commercial and other real properties, including due diligence, negotiation and documentation.
Mr. Ruger has substantial experience in representing issuers in private offerings, including the preparation of private placement memoranda, subscription agreements, investor rights agreements and related corporate documents.
Mr. Ruger also counsels his clients in developing corporate policies and guiding officers, directors and shareholders regarding governance issues.
Loyola Marymount University (B.S. and B.A. with honors, 1976)
University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D. with honors, 1980)
- Represented a multi-national automotive parts manufacturer and supplier in the concurrent and strategic acquisition of three companies.
- Represented a publicly traded foreign corporation in connection with its acquisition of a processed food manufacturing company in the United States.
- Represented a publicly traded foreign corporation in a three-party joint venture in the United States with two of the largest steel manufacturers in the world to build a steel pipe manufacturing facility in the United States.
- Represented the majority shareholder in buying out minority shareholders and concurrently selling substantially all of the assets of the company to an institutional investor.
- Represented a video game developer and publisher in connection with the acquisition of a gaming company and strategic investments in gaming companies.
- Represented a foreign investor in connection with the acquisition of a major shopping center in Southern California and financing for the acquisition.
- Represented a publicly traded foreign corporation in connection with the successful recognition and enforcement of its multi-million dollar foreign judgment in California.
- International Association of Korean Lawyers
- Korean American Bar Association of Southern California
Professional Honors and Distinctions
- Southern California Super Lawyer (2007 – 2010)